Frequently asked questions
- What is the “definition” of emoji?
The definition of emoji in “Emoji Symbols Font” is characters included in “Apple Color Emoji.ttf” in MacOSX 10.7 or later.
However, combining characters and "national flag emoji" (ligatures) are not available.
- What are the supporting browsers?
We have confirmed so far that the OS and browsers below are capable of displaying, though we have not yet determined all the available versions.
Mac...Chrome 22, FireFox16, Opera12.0.2, Safari 5.1.7
Defects that do not appear correctly in IE9, Chrome Windows Vista environment has been confirmed. (October 24, 2012)
- How do I use the Web font?
Although there are various implementation methods, a basic one is described. Also refer to a sample in the download file.
For example, it is described as follows:
<title>sample - EmojiSymbols Font</title>
EmojiSymbols Font (c)blockworks - Kenichi Kaneko
src: url('EmojiSymbols-Regular.woff') format('woff');
- How are emoji described?
To the best of our knowledge, there seem to be various description methods.
For example, TULIP can be described as follows:
- HTML Entity (hex).........🌷
- HTML Entity (decimal).....🌷
- binary...................Copy and paste emoji per se.
Since character description method of “Emoji Symbols: Background Data” is set as HTML Entity (hex), this method is recommended for this font.
- What are the codes supporting emoji?
- The character codes supporting emoji are stated in “Emoji list” so copying and pasting from it is convenient.
- How are “keyboard emoji” depicted?
- Currently, "keyboard emoji" is not available.
- How are “national flag emoji” handled?
- Currently, "national flag emoji" is not available.
- What is the data capacity of each file?
Since the capacity varies to some extent depending on character addition, the values are shown below as reference only.
- woff.....280,610 byte (281 KB)
- What is the range of use of Emoji Symbols Font?
- The font can be used only on Web pages (private pages, blogs, corporate pages, etc.) and Web services (services on the Web).
For use other than the use on the Web (commercial printed matters, magazines, electronic publication, images, and software/hardware installation), we take on separate contracts at extra cost.
- Can I use “Emoji Symbols Font” for T-shirts, goods, part of product logos, etc.?
- No, the font cannot be used for matters bearing rights such as registered trademarks. In any case, use of “Emoji Symbols Font” cannot be restricted.
- Can I convert the file format of Emoji Symbols Font? (otf)
- No, conversion of the file format is not permitted. Use the provided file as it is.
For otf, we take on separate contracts at extra cost. Feel free to consult us.
- Can I subset (Deletion of unused characters)?
- No, font subsetting is not permitted. Use the provided file as it is.
For subsetting, we take on separate contracts at extra cost. Feel free to consult us.
- Can I create and use a part of the characters in Emoji Symbols Font as a picture?
- Yes, picture creation is permitted. However, caution should be taken not to use them on matters bearing rights such as product logos.
- Are resale, redistribution, modification, reverse compile, and disassemble of data, and sale and redistribution of derivatives possible?
- No, all the acts, in part or in whole, are not permitted.
However, for these acts, we take on separate contracts at extra cost. Feel free to consult us.
Contracts at extra cost
If you would like to use this font beyond its specified range of use, we can conclude a separate contract at extra cost.
Since the price of contract at extra cost varies, depending on the subject (private/corporate), scale of services, and range of use, the contract is handled separately. Feel free to contact us.
- Use other than the use on the Web
- The expected use of the font is commercial printed matters, magazines, electronic publication, images, and software/hardware installation. The cost varies depending on the subject (private/corporate) and scale of services. Feel free to contact us.
- Conversion of font file format
- On this site, woff formats are being distributed. If you would like to use other formats, consult us. The formats that we can offer on this site is otf.
- Font subsetting (Deletion of unused characters)
- The cost is set for each subsetting operation, which is a single price, regardless of the number of characters to be subset in each operation.
Be advised that the above contents are subject to change/deletion without prior notice.